H O M E W E B S I T E E M A I L

Monday 14 May 2012

but is it true?



I "chatted" to Tim Noad by e-mail. He was saying that these days even parts parts of the Peerage patents are printed on parchment, and they don't have anything like the quality of the handwritten illuminated texts.
he said: "As you know, 'parchment' is more often used for sheepskin which is indeed greasy and hard to write on and not used much these days. I am certain that the speech is printed, I can't imagine them paying someone to write it at short notice and it would be harder to read (I have to admit!)" 
I agree about how difficult it would be to read fluently considering the content.

Now calf vellum is wonderful to work on and when it has been properly prepared - called "raising the nap", it feels velvety like a fine suede or velvet. The colour is gloriously intense because of the light penetrating between the particles of paint on the velvety surface. Also, you can erase mistakes completely.


Here is my very first sample of a fine detail painting on prepared vellum - photographed from the same set of books that you saw on Friday. I hope the photograph does the colours justice. It is a copy of the tail of the Q from an illumination in the Winchester Bible.


While I was doing the traditional skills course through CLAS in 2001, we had to make egg tempera.
I am convinced that egg tempera is applauded because in earlier years the intensity was much better than gouache. However I think that colourmen have made huge strides with colours so I wonder if egg tempera is still brighter. And this is only comparing Schmincke - there are still other fabulous makes such as Linel.
I did this panel about 10 years ago to see how the colours aged (albeit in a book).The big plus with egg tempera is that the white highlights do not bleed. Also it feels amazing to make paint! If you visit Cornelissens in London you will see the large jars of coloured pigment powders. Alas, I only buy Armenium Bole to make transfer paper and to colour gesso.


No comments:

Post a Comment