H O M E W E B S I T E E M A I L

Monday 28 May 2012

The Writers' Circle

I've finished the bunting for my daughter's writers' workshop which is part of the Oxfringe Literary Festival - see www.megankerr.co.uk, for details - and thought I'd do a quick banner - I mean quick! I don't really have much more creative-indulgence time for events, what with the Village Jubilee fĂȘte bunting, a group art project at the fair etc.


I found some cotton duck canvas in the loft -as one does - a piece 200cm X 40cm - perfect! Then I typed up her logo font Travelling Typewriter which fortunately  I have on my computer. I enlarged "The Writer's Circle" to 450pt to measure 150cm. The letters were about 10cm high. I did the letters as white with black outlines, and printed them off on a few sheets of A4. I don't know if you can do this sort of thing in Word, but it is easy in a graphics programme. A photocopier would also work.

I drew a pencil baseline lightly on the fabric and lay the first A4 sheet under the canvas, and the letters were just visible. I traced the letters - this blobby alphabet is very forgiving. Then I mixed Lascaux Acryclic and a little water. Using a good nylon round brush #7, I painted the letters quite quickly. The banner took about a hour in all. Voila!



Typewriter Lettering: The letters on old typewriters got quite grubby with bits of fibre, dust etc. and the ones used the most like o's and e's were grubbiest. So these letters often look thicker than the others. Sometimes the o's were "filled in" completely, which we find retro and charming these days. You can see how thin the Capital letters are by comparison.


1 comment:

  1. This is brilliant! So beautiful! In future, all my event design plans will go...
    1. Visit the venue
    2. Make a list
    3. Panic
    4. Invite Mum to visit the venue

    ReplyDelete