H O M E W E B S I T E E M A I L

Monday 9 July 2012

John Muafangejo


John Muafangejo (1943 - 1987) was a black South African artist and is probably one of the most respected black artists from the apartheid era. Certainly he takes world stage with his lino cuts! 


When I lived in Cape Town we visited an exhibition of his work in 1986 and my husband and I each chose one piece.  I chose 'Snow in Finland was making Artist fall twice' and Dave chose "Muafangejo's Kraal".
I still count them among our most prized artworks. (Not that I have that many)
In my 'Snow' one, he had been to Finland to have an exhibition there and saw snow for the first time and fell (twice!). You can sense his pride in that he is an Artist, and he depicts himself rather  naïvely. I love the short leg.




So what makes Muafangejo's work so fantastic? 
1) It is an intensely personal statement which captures the imagination of others. He said of some of his images: 'omething is pressing, pressing to come out. When it came out, I was relieved' and  'My themes? - I do dreams.'
2) There is a narrative that transports the viewer to another world; an exotic world with animals, dreams, his father's kraal with 8 wives and his unique view of life's experiences.


3) Symbolism adds depth to his work.
4) He also illustrated political events  e.g. 'New Archbishop Tutu Enthroned', as well as biblical events.
5) Most of his work has words simply expressed and sometimes misspelt. This adds a lot of charm.
6) Then there is the sheer decorative quality, the design and the unaffected  naïve art.
see this detail from the print above:




I could go on - and on...


1 comment: