H O M E W E B S I T E E M A I L

Thursday 5 July 2012

Lino Design for the little church

A little note to my America readers: Susan Moor is an English calligrapher who lives in Northern England and for the past number of years she has sat in Durham Cathedral UK and other churches, sketching and collecting material for her Artist's Books. Not to be confused with the other (also) wonderfully talented Suzanne Moore from the USA.

Below: we don't have a cathedral in our Oxfordshire village - this is our little church.



I am designing a welcome leaflet for All Saints Church and I thought photos just never look that great.
In fact the best view of the church is side-on, but no-one ever really sees that view. The only access path to the church by road looks up at it and often we only see the lych gate. So I took these photos and did my first drawing. I blocked in the areas of dark and light to help me visualise the finished result if translated into a lino cut.




The lych gate is charming, but for simplicity I decided to leave it out. I then simplified it a lot to create a design which would reproduce well if it was very small.




I decided to set it on an exaggerated hill and play with pattern and bold simple shapes.


No comments:

Post a Comment