H O M E W E B S I T E E M A I L

Thursday 31 January 2013

Life Blood of the Artist

The life blood series is all about New Years resolutions or an artist maintaining a practise routine whether it is photography, calligraphy or fine arts. It's what we need to do to keep up our rhythms and use our talents and also to stimulate our creativity. This is the last of the life blood series.


 I go to life drawing once a month for 1.5 hours of frantic drawing. Frantic because there is hardly time to draw breath and the model scarcely rests - e.g. 4 x 5 minute poses, then 1 x 10 minutes and 2 x 20 minutes.
I always get hyper in the "five minuters" but interesting things happen...




and sometimes you can recognise the model as clearly from a five minute drawing as from a 20 minute drawing like the one above. The models are usually nude, but this time the model had not arrived and the receptionist posed for us.


Now this one - 'Despair'? is one of my favourites because it's expressive - thus validating the 5 minute poses.
In the bottom one I had a bit of time to play - this was a 30 minute pose) and I extended her hair thinking that she may be useful for the Rope of Words, where the woman had resolved not to cut her hair.
And foreshortening is always cool to draw!





No comments:

Post a Comment