H O M E W E B S I T E E M A I L

Tuesday 29 January 2013

Life Blood of Calligraphy - Scriptorium 2

I spoke about writing every day last week and I promised to show my way of ruling up.
For continuous writing to make it meaningful, rule up pages for a book and copy from some beautiful prose.
Use good quality paper of about 120 - 150gsm. Arches, Zerkall are great. I like Zerkall wavy smooth.

These are my preparation instructions for my students:
1) Work on A3 folded to A4.
2) Rule up as follows: margins: 2cm at the top, 3cm on the outsides, 15mm on the insides and 4cm at the bottom. That is a classical layout. However you'll see that when I was doing my own writing I had a smaller page and two columns - also classical but more complicated and the tiny writing was done with a drawing nib which I had sanded to a square tip.


3) Rule up about 4 sheets on both sides and number the pages from 1-16.

Ruling up: You can buy little ruling guides from Scribblers and that's a good start. However its best to use
the little guide to make one long strip with lines for writing and interlinear spaces. Use a T-square. I draw it up very carefully, because if the pencil is blunt and the point is 1mm thick it can become very inaccurate.
(The board should be padded, but I used the back for the photos so that the ruling up could show up more clearly)
Place the page on the very edge of the board and stick the ruling strip next to the edge.
Run the T-square down the side drawing lines to match the ruling strip.
Draw a little pencil x in the line you want to write in so that you don't make a mistake and write in the interlinear space.
Just draw base lines and waist lines, not all the ascender, descender and cap lines.
If you struggle to keep your writing slope even, draw some sloped guidelines or vertical guidelines it's a vertical hand that you are practising.




The next instalment will be about Good Scriptorium practises!
b.t.w. No new launches of any tutorials to download uintil my web designer has the subscriptions working properly. I'm sorry about this. But at least we have made a start.We are racing against time as I'm off on holiday to Singapore in February and it will just be photos for a while then!



No comments:

Post a Comment