H O M E W E B S I T E E M A I L

Friday 6 May 2011

Ladies who Lunch

I was privileged today to join the "ladies who lunch", at the Tate Modern on the 7th floor and enjoy the magnificent panorama of St Paul's and the Thames and at the same time to have a day out with Miró.
We each selected what we would like to take home!

The Passage of the Divine Bird
It was difficult to choose - after all our chosen piece could be for our imaginary home. The blue triptych was my intellectual piece but I love his Constellation Series and in the end chose The Passage of the Divine Bird. Sadly this meant passing up The Royal Majesty sculptures which would have looked handsome in my garden.

Seriously though, what an incredible output of a life of expression through art. It was quite a journey especially through the really dark periods of his life under Franco's regime. I think his words in 1979 sums it up: I understand that an artist is someone who, in the midst of others' silence, uses his own voice to say something and who makes sure that what he says is not useless, but is something that is useful to mankind"

Joan Miró's works come to London in the first major retrospective here for nearly 50 years. Renowned as one of the greatest Surrealist painters, filling his paintings with luxuriant colour, Miró worked in a rich variety of styles. This is a rare opportunity to enjoy more than 150 paintings, drawings, sculptures and prints from moments across the six decades of his extraordinary career. 


Tate Modern - 14th April - 11th September

1 comment:

  1. Great blog. And enjoying it. Can I suggest you put in links - such as a link to the Tate website?

    ReplyDelete