H O M E W E B S I T E E M A I L

Friday 6 January 2012

Workshop in London

I had a lovely day with Open Books London, exploring transparent watercolours in "Skating on Thin Ice" We began with an abstract piece just trying to see how many different effects and techniques we could muster, then applied the colour scheme to lemons regardless of "local colour"

Here are my fruit studies showing three different approahes.. Have a look at the workshop gallery to see what the group produced. Remember that colour scheme from yesterday - but to be honest, I could do with less viridian!


I find whenever I teach I always seem to learn a lot
This is what I learnt from my Wilcox Guide:
WandN Madder Brown is better in the Cotman range than the Artist's range.
Raw Umber varies from greenish brown (Rowney) to a pale ochre (W&N) which was said to be "overbound pigments". I love the WandN version, as it provides the lightest of transluscent ochre coloured washes; but apparently the Rowney and Reeves(!) is superior.
All the reds and mauves using quinacridone are amazing colours - forget madders and alizarins.

I also saw a fabulous home-made palette using two enamel plates (courtesy Carole and Margaret Stanley). I'll photograph mine when I get to a pound shop to buy some. They are lighter and more versatile than my large white tile.





No comments:

Post a Comment