H O M E W E B S I T E E M A I L

Tuesday 17 July 2012

Rope of Words 4 - Collograph 1


Here is my first trial plate.
S on left: This is built from mountboard with the recessed parts "peeled" away, between the trellis. The S is painted in PVA to resist the ink.
S on right: The S was cut out of thin card and glued on, while the plant stem on the S was peeled away. the middle has wallpaper stuck to it.

After making the plates they are sealed with shellac, which can be home made or bought ready-mixed as "Button Polish" To make it, you mix shellac flakes and methelayted spirits. Either way brushes are cleaned with meths. I bought the button polish as a good hardware store in the varnish section.


I then did a plate which actually has a muddly design as I was trying everything to test different surfaces. I think there are too many trials in one piece, but we'll see what happens when I print from it. I was trying out lettering in particular. The black is carborundum or iron filings and it and the sandpaper bit would come out very dark.The shiny brown is plastic parcel tape which comes out very light as the ink gets wiped off it easily.


After shellacing it, I wrote on the plate with a CD pen to photograph as a record.


I'll give the list of surfaces when I show the results (if they are showable!).

No comments:

Post a Comment