H O M E W E B S I T E E M A I L

Monday 16 July 2012

Rope of Words 3 - thumbnails

My script has 10 chapters and is an adult fantasy story, so I thought an intro. illustration + 10 + cover is ambitious enough (although 22 illustrations would be nicer).
If I use heavy paper such as Somerset Satin 300gsm, I think I could have one folio per "section" of the book. Each page would be between A4 and A3 in size.

Here is the first thumbnail of a possible layout of a typical folio
Page size: 28cm X 34.5cm.
margins: 3cm on sides, 2cm at top, 5cm at base.
I don't think I'll go for the 15mm on the inner margins to make up 3cm, but might do 2.25cm to make up 4.5cm combined inner margins. Something to think about.
3
Page 1 and 4: Title and a line of words running along the bottom of the pages (the rope of words) 
page 2 and 3: Illustration on page 2, text with Illuminated cap. on page 3
If I did Collograph I could use a typewriter text which has a natural feel about it and could be screened nicely. I've just used Head in the meantime for the thumbnail.


But then I started thinking a bit more creatively. What about a cut-out so that the "chapter heading" is arbitrarily placed and the rope of words running all over page 1 & 4. In this case, the illustration would have to be on page 3.
Here is the second thumbnail of a possible layout of a typical folio


I'll keep mulling over this.

And the latest news:
In the meantime I have visited two galleries, one local and one in Hampshire with my orchid giclĂ©es and both have offered me space and taken the cards. Dolphin Art would like to have an exhibition with one or two other flower artists and demonstrations and the other gallery would like to put me in with a group exhibition to mark the Christmas / Autumn season. I'm going to have to produce a few more water colour pieces to have some originals. I have just stretched two sheets of paper 50cm square and will pop out to the farm shop to get some Sea Thistles to paint. I'm very happy about this. Don't worry calligraphers, there will still be lettering happening!


No comments:

Post a Comment