H O M E W E B S I T E E M A I L

Thursday 19 July 2012

Rope of Words 6 - Collograph 3

Just as in the story, Rope of Words, I have to persist to achieve my goals.
I have printed my plates and quite frankly, I am disappointed. Please ignore the awful design - it was an experiment!


  • It's too monochromatic for the story.
  • It is not suitable for fine detail or crisp letterforms
  • It is very hit and miss with inking up and printing. 

By the time I am ready to collograph, each folio will have been screen printed on two sides and could easily have undergone 8 screenings per folio on both sides. So to mess it up by getting a bit weary or inattentive during inking and burnishing is very real. My teacher agreed that it was risky to collograph after screening. I wondered about screening over the embossing.

See what I mean about the plate being more exciting! Being inked up often gives it patina as well.
So to be positive, there are some interesting textures for another day:

PVA dribbled over mount board in wavy lines

Letters peeled away from mount board - no PVA
Sandpaper cut out and glued on with gesso
Masking tape stuck on mount board and letters cut away from masking tape
The r has been PVA'd to add ink-resist
Scrim glued on using gesso
Carborundum glued on with gesso with spaces between 

Bits of torn overlapped masking tape

Plastic parcel tape stuck on mount board and letters cut away from parcel tape
No PVA to add ink-resist
Soft hemp cord glued to mount board.

As I said, I'd try to be transparent about what does and doesn't work for me.
Back to the drawing board! 

No comments:

Post a Comment