H O M E W E B S I T E E M A I L

Thursday 12 July 2012

Dessert Shooters


After a mindbogglingly boring 6 hours of tweaking and testing colours in Photoshop for cards, I needed to do something creative, especially as it was bookclub at my house. 


Last summer, I had a "dessert shooter" as I have discovered this latest haute-cuisine dessert is titled and I was so taken with the presentation that I hunted for some shot glasses. Since I was in Singapore and had birthday money, I struck it lucky in China Town where we found a caterer's shop.


Since then I have made dark choc mousse, pannecotta, and bought lemon sorbet to use them. Tonight I found a recipe for white chocolate mousse. It has Greek yoghurt in so it's very healthy. This was an hour well spent making two desserts - see the recipe below the custard slices.




The book was an excellent read and I really enjoyed it, although some of the book club members found it insufficiently convincing. I felt that it was deliberately exaggerated and charming in order to cope with some difficult issues.


My guests also had mini custard slices - an old South African favourite. I'd love to find the ingredients in the UK so if anyone knows of a packet vanilla milk pudding which is made with two cups of milk, please let me know. I use Moirs - from the South African shop in Roehampton and make it with one cup of milk and one cup of cream and it's divine.








Here goes: 
Mini Custard Slices
(Makes about 24)
Preheat the oven to 205 C
All butter Puff pastry (1 roll)
1 pkt Moirs instant pudding
1 cup of milk
1 cup of cream.


Unroll the pastry but don't roll it with a rolling pin. 
Use a clean plastic ruler to measure 6cm squares.
Use the side of the ruler as a cutter to press into the pastry. 
Lay the pastry squares on a non-stick baking sheet which is not greased.
Cook on the top shelf of the oven for 10 minutes or till golden brown.




Mix the milk and cream and add the packet mix.
Stir briskly and it will thicken immediately.
When the squares are cool, split them in half laterally.
Fill with dollops of the custard, and put the lids back on.
Dust with icing sugar.


White Chocolate Rum Mousse 
(fills 12 shot glasses, with a little over to lick the dish!)
250g white chocolate - buy a good brand
200g Greek yoghurt - NOT low fat
250ml whipping cream
2 Tbs white rum (I bought a 1/4 bottle at Sainsbury's)


Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in a small saucepan balanced in a larger saucepan of boiling water.
This slows the melting and the chocolate doesn't burn.
Whip the cream till stiff and add the rum.
Stir in the chocolate.
Stir in the yoghurt and check that there is enough rum in the mixture..
Put the mixture into a jug and pour into the shot glasses. 

Be careful to keep the top edges clean.
Sieve a dusting of cocoa powder or garnish with a raspberry.
Chill for a couple of hours in the fridge


All in all a very nice evening.



No comments:

Post a Comment