H O M E W E B S I T E E M A I L

Wednesday 11 July 2012

Rope of Words 1 - Artist's Book

I have been fascinated by Artist's Books ever since I first heard of them, and I am already a maker of books. But now my vision is to make a limited edition of books "properly bound".
Of course I have all sorts of other commitments but the gift of working at the Oxford Printmakers (OPC) once a week means I can run a new project alongside everything else.
Below are some of the books I've made, as journals.








I think I'd like the Artist's book to have a covered spine.
Anyway, I've decided to record the project on my blog - the inspirations, frustrations, triumphs and set-backs and ultimately the Book - or Not. 
Time scale: a year or so.


So what are the ingredients needed:
Vision: to make a limited edition of an Artist's Book
huge ambition
staying power
Concept of how it will look when complete: needs exploration
Excellent script: enriched with imagery - I have this - Rope of Words written by Megan Kerr, 5000 words. www.megankerr.co.uk
Illustration style: that will relate to the text and is engaging - needs exploration
Illustration - means of printmaking: a means to reproduce illustration style - needs exploration
Text style: A font or handwritten or digitised lettering style?
Text - means of printmaking: Letterpress (I wish!) or screen printing (accessible)
and that is just the start.



Disclaimer: This may never get off the ground, so I'm taking a chance in doing it publicly. But on the other hand, I've started trying ideas, so that may be worthwhile in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment