H O M E W E B S I T E E M A I L

Tuesday 3 July 2012

A peek inside Susan Moor's books


Susan Moor developed a modern form of lettering inspired by the Cnut style which was similar to Carolingian. This is what we did at the workshop. Susan does her letterforms using a drawing nib Brause 66EF (extra fine) a flexible, but a strong nib. She has written in a pressure-release style getting slight thicknesses on her lettering where required - much as one does in copperplate.
In her books we see elegant scripts written in gouache over watercolour-washed pages. Susan often does a water colour wash on Arches Hot pressed paper, then works into it with chalk pastels, enriching and texturing the paper surface. It gives the paper a really good "tooth" and is a wonderful surface to write on.




I suppose because I have always grappled with illustration and lettering as a harmonious unit, it was extra special for me. In her research into lettering and images, she has studied the work of William Blake, Tom Phillips, Ben Shahn, David Jones, Burgert , Ann Hechle and Gill.  These are my heroes as well so this really resonated with me. 
(I'm going to return to the topic of illustration and lettering a due course because this is one of the reasons why I have begun printmaking)



And I know you are longing to see inside the massive tomes. 





Oh what amazing books! And what a wonderfully talented person Susan is. I am so inspired.

2 comments:

  1. The Cnut lettering is indeed very beautiful: balanced and peaceful. Lovely. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful books indeed. Susan is a colleague of mine in The Society of Northumbrian Scribes, and we are very blessed to have her as our chair!

    Loving your linocut progression....drawings and finished piece look great!

    ReplyDelete