H O M E W E B S I T E E M A I L

Monday 2 July 2012

Susan Moor's Books

I had an incredible workshop with Susan Moor, who visited Oxford Scribes.
Her Artist's Books are breathtakingly beautiful and it was very interesting hearing how she developed her by-now recognisable and unique style.


Susan spent every Tuesday in Durham Cathedral collecting images by drawing and created her text by listening, thinking, feeling and writing.  




A part of her final MA presentation was seven simple pamphlet bound books with line drawings. Elegant, understated and the sort of book you don't merely admire, but actively read. These were designed to stir the imagination of many tourists and non-believers who visited the cathedral.



However, it is the journals of her two-year journey that have captivated me (and many others).
Today I think I'll just show you the books and tomorrow we can peek inside them!


For people who are interested in working alongside book artists such as Susan Moor and Ann Hechle, there is a unique opportunity in July 2013. The Sunderland symposium will celebrate the visit of the Lindisfarne gospels and delegates will visit Lindisfarne and Durham cathedral and have an opportunity to produce a unique statement on their own. There are quite a number of you out there who read my blogs, who I can imagine would really enjoy this (including some who love lettering, but are not calligraphers per se!)
I'll be there for sure!


Photos reproduced with kind permission of Susan Moor.


No comments:

Post a Comment