H O M E W E B S I T E E M A I L

Friday 14 September 2012

Rope of Words 15 - The Woman 4

Another page from my sketchbook of copying the stylisation of other artists - this time Margaret Mackintosh. I love her work, but I really don't want to fall into an art-deco style. However the experience of copying to analyse and learn is useful. This has shown me that my Woman has to be thin and tall - rather Modigliani than Mackintosh though.

Then I need to work out different poses. I spent a long time online trying to see if there were action photos of nudes that I could use as my starting point and I found a few. The trouble was that all the poses are passive and the Woman is active. MM's poses are also pretty languid. The Woman dredges the canal for words, beats them into shapes etc. I found a pottery book with expressionistic figures and some of those gave me ideas of how to pose her (maybe I need a theatre director or choreographer!).

I'm inching my way forward. There is as much progress in knowing what won't work as there is in finding out what will work.



2 comments:

  1. I think that Klimt and M.M had a lot in common. They were contemporaries, but I'm sure she wasn't influenced by him,(having read up on her) so it may have been the Art Deco thing or maybe he saw her work. Either way, their execution of it is so different that they are both stand-alone brilliant artists.

    ReplyDelete