H O M E W E B S I T E E M A I L

Wednesday 26 September 2012

LX Exhibition 1 - Words set free - starting out



Opening: Today - see below.

We started talking about the LX exhibition a year ago - the venue is The Free Word Centre and our exhibition was themed Words Set Free.
I was chatting to my daughter about it and she said she has started writing a short story titled Rope of Words, so I played with that idea in my head. But that idea blossomed into my current big project of making an artist's book using the script. The 40cm square format didn't suit it and the illustrations all seemed as though they'd look better with their friends - i.e. as part of a collection.



A few more ideas came and went and I went back to something I've wanted to work with for a long time - a brush-drawn circle suggesting eternity and then some quotations from St John & revelations - "In the beginning was the word" and Alpha and "Omega". I planned to cover birch ply in paper and stamp the lettering in using metal stamps. If I stamped the letters first then screen-printed the circle perhaps the ink would leave the letters stark white. Perhaps?




So I got my huge Japanese brush and ink and did some circles to select the one I thought would work the best. Much as I like the top left circle, it has to be fairly solid to work with the stamped letters. I love the shiny Chinese ink.


Letter Exchange Lettering exhibition:
Words Set Free
Mondays - Fridays
27th September - 19th October
9.00am - 8.00pm
The Free Word Centre
60 Farringdon Road

EC1R 3GA
Farringdon Tube Station





No comments:

Post a Comment