H O M E W E B S I T E E M A I L

Wednesday 24 October 2012

3X5 cut letters

A 20 minute warm-up doing cut 3X5 letters. All the letters except M, W and I are 3X5 and they "work" because the straight sides sorts the spacing.

Jackie, Marian, Janet, Hilary and "Gourds" by Olwyn
This is such a useful alphabet for group work. with kids, teachers, calligraphers, embroiderers! It's chunky so can be cut out.  Its an alphabet I learnt in 1982 in banner making, long before my involvement with calligraphy. The idea is to cut the letter sizes by eye, and then cut out the negative spaces, using paper or fabric. This casualness creates a dynamic variation of letters. 


I give these away because they are really useful and promotes the making of letters. They can give a great deal of pleasure to kids and novices! Cut them out in patterned fabrics, glue them on and you have fun banners!

Tomorrow we'll see the beginnings of Olwyn's gourd design.


No comments:

Post a Comment