H O M E W E B S I T E E M A I L

Monday 15 October 2012

Procrastination & Obsession

Oh dear! I'm feeling rather overwhelmed because I've involved myself in time consuming things like joining committees and getting sidetracked by grandchildren.
And writing a blog 5 days a week.
Committees always take time and in a spurt of villagey energy. I've joined the church PCC - primarily to have some input on the logo design etc. because I'd like to be involved in something a little more cutting edge than the current design; I've joined the Village artwork team because our village has a grant for an artwork and I definitely want to be involved in the process there. Then there are a couple of other committees, Letter Exchange as speakers organiser and President of Oxford Scribes, which to be honest has not taken much time except that I feel I ought to be at various functions and contribute articles to the magazine.
I don't do much in the way of handmade cards - or try not to, but there's an 80th birthday coming up which deserves something special. Actually, if I do make handmade cards, I set the timer for 10 minutes and throw something together from recycled works of art. It usually take 20 minutes to half an hour. I can live with that! The 80th will take an afternoon or a day at least!
But I'm a working artist, and try not to get into too much chutney making and soft toys.




And I'm a grandmother. I have the kids once a week for an afternoon so when six year old dog-mad Izzy asked if I would help her make a toy dog, of course I said "yes" and we found a pattern on the internet for a Scotty dog. She made the ears, attached the snaps to the eyes and stuffed the tail. I'm a perfectionist - or obsessive about doing things properly, so I ended up spending an extra evening and morning sewing the dog. (Well the feet aren't quite right, but that'l do). The rationale is that Izzy'll learn to make things instead of just buy them, and learn sewing skills etc. An educational experience if you like.
So here's the dog. Cute, maybe and probably worth it but there is still a long list of stuff I really need to do...
Here's the website for other lapsed calligraphers and procrastinators:
http://www.sewingpatterns.org.uk/dog-sewing-pattern.htm



No comments:

Post a Comment