H O M E W E B S I T E E M A I L

Friday 26 October 2012

cut & screened letters

I am making a "poster" for an elderly gentleman's 80th - he was a vicar and I was asked to do a card for everyone to sign. It's turned out to be A3, but that was because I had the idea of screenprinting. I'll put it into an folder and they can sign that. His name is Bruce, so I looked for a verse starting with B. The B and the word pleasant will be in orange and the rest in grey. Then there will be some blind-embossing over the B and the pattern at the bottom. (All this is practise for The Rope of Words.)
Here is the stencil, cut from layout paper on my cutting mat. Layout paper works very well as a screenprint mask.


I am trying to "lighten up" to do things more informally, so I just drew and cut these in a morning. Does the informality forgive the spacing on "it is"? Certainly there is a lot of movement because there are numerous diagonals and I didn't really draw proper guidelines. In the end I cut a B and "pleasant" stencil separately as I think it would read as "ehold, how good..." if the B is just blind embossed. My challenge was to do stencil lettering without contained counterspaces which would fall out.
  

And then as I lifted the stencil I saw this beautiful shadow on the cutting mat.


The letters were lying all over the show, so I took a photo of them on my African tablecloth. I've kept them to do a screenprint of them scattered - a kind of alphabet soup.
I'll show you the results when I get there.
It's really nice to do projects which are for fun, because it takes all the stress out of it.




No comments:

Post a Comment