H O M E W E B S I T E E M A I L

Monday 29 October 2012

Rope of Words 17 - Choosing paper

For newcomers to the blog, I am following through on an artist's book, "Rope of Words",  from beginning to end: the trials, tribulations and hopefully the sucesses.

I went to *Falkiners Fine Papers to get started on some paper trials.
One of my problems was the watermark. I asked about it and some printmakers leave it on to show what good paper it is and that's a personal preference as it would be on the border anyway. However, in a book as big as Rope of Words, there would be a watermark on every second page. Nooooo.




I looked at various printmakers papers in a heavy 300gsm and experimented with blind embossing on damp paper and dry paper.
The blind embossing was only marginally better on the damp paper, (see top right sample) but not worth damping huge sheets. What a relief! (excuse the pun). I'll try dry embossing with a bit more pressure. Bear in mind that each sheet to be embossed is a half sheet 38cm X 56cm, so to screenprint then dampen might be asking for trouble.

Printing paper is 100% cotton and may be textured or smooth, but is more lightly sized than other artist's paper - great for printing on, but not even good for drawing on as it's a little like blotting paper.
Somerset Satin or Somerset Cold Pressed papers were both good, but the sheets have two watermarks on opposite sides diagonally.
BFK Rives was good but only had one really nice deckled edge and the other edge was a torn edge.
Hahnemuhle Etching paper was too soft and stuck in the stencil when put through the press.
Velin Arches is the sample above and the deckled edges (top left) are lovely. The paper is ivory and is exquisite to handle. The deckled edges ran parallel to the grain down both sides. The top and bottom edges were torn.



*Falkiner's Fine Papers was taken over by Shepherd's, a bookbinding company. Now they are moving: "After 25 happy years in Southampton Row, we are moving all the goodies to our bright & shiny new home in Gillingham St, Victoria" This is near Tate Britain but sadly not near the LX lectures anymore. :(


Online Bookbinding & Paper Store
Shepherds, Sangorski & Sutcliffe







Share||

1 comment:

  1. Lin
    I'm gratified to learn that your favourite paper, Velin Arches, is the same one I chose for my last book! Nice to have my choice confirmed. Not that I did your extensive sampling.
    And BTW the new Shepherds/Falkiners will be near Tate Britain, not Tate Mod.
    Su

    ReplyDelete