H O M E W E B S I T E E M A I L

Tuesday 6 November 2012

Computer as a tool - Layout - 1b

This is part of an article I wrote for Oxford Scribes Newsletter earlier this year.  www.oxfordscribes.co.uk

Whenever I have to write anything in calligraphy I first type it out in the most similar looking font I can find and play around with the layout, the final overall shape, interlinear distance etc. I always begin on the computer, then write a little until I think my nib size is correct, then go back to the computer to see if it is going to fit on the format size.

If the piece is long, after planning it as a thumbnail,  I might lay it out on an A3 size on the computer and print it off in two halves.



In the piece "This your wedding Day" I had planned to do the final piece on a coloured background in Italic. the title was to be large and within the text body.So to get a feeling for how it would look and the final shape and texture, I laid it out in John Hardy, a cursive script and used Zapfino for the title.


In A is for Ox, I was going to stamp my metal letters into paper then roller over them in black, so I chose Humanist Lt. 19pt and worked out the design. (Needless to say this was after a few thumbnails and trial and error designs)     
It starts getting more interesting tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment