H O M E W E B S I T E E M A I L

Thursday 10 January 2013

Poetry Collaboration 2

Truth to Materials:


Truth to materials means that the method of working should reflect the materials used to create the piece.So, hand cut letters should not look like laser cut letters.

I'm working on a design to be screenprinted.
I did a rough sketch in illustrator and had decided
1) the letters need an informality and directness.
2) they need to be cut directly without prior drawing / sketching.
3) guide lines should be drawn freely by hand so that the letter scale varies.



Remember that my lettering heroes are Ben Shahn and Stephen Raw (www.stephenraw.com) Both did / can do very sophisticated lettering, yet Ben Shaw went around New York (1930's) copying hand made signage to get some new energy into his work.

Here is my PLAN: Size: 60cm X 30cm
I was going to print the middle line in colour, but printing yellow over purple in my test piece was disastrous, so now I'm going to reverse out all the lettering and print strips of colour (one strip per verse) in mauves, with white letters. I'll have already printed rectangles of bright colour so that every now and again the letters are different colours.It sounds more complicated than it is, but I'll keep you posted.
Then of course I need to have an illustration of Rhododendron who is a bit of a slapper really.

(see the poem on 6th December in the new blog - www.limetreesstudio.com)

Share||

No comments:

Post a Comment