H O M E W E B S I T E E M A I L

Tuesday 30 October 2012

Rope of Words 18 - Paper, Layout and update

I have chosen the Velin Arches (76cm x 56cm) because the deckled edges down the foredge are spectacular. I'll cut or tear each sheet in half to fold it for a page size 38cm x 28cm. The other fantastic thing about the Velin Arches is that the watermark is not very noticeable. If I find it worries me, I can always to an extra little embossed image in the bottom corner.

Here you can see how I have progressed with the layout from the top plan to the one below. The text will now be in a single column on the left page with a large decorative capital, and a square cut-out near the middle.

Progress on The Rope of Words so far: 
  • Font lower case is designed - I still need to draw the Upper case and have the letters made into a font that I can type.
  • Style of decorative capitals is planned - it will be a coloured screen-printed capital combined with blind embossing.
  • Layout design of folios is designed.
  • I have visited a professional book artist to make sure I'm on the right track and she will oversee my making a dummy book.
  • Illustration ideas are falling into place, although I still need to do some life drawing and then stylise and design each page. 
  • I have some ideas about the style of binding and cover design.

Now I'll start experimenting with one of the illustrations using screen printing and embossing and the rest of the Elva font design is becoming a matter of urgency. This is expensive to do because I'm not technically minded and will only design the letters, vectorise them and plan the spacing.
As soon as I have a number of pages on which I've experimented I'll bind them into the first dummy book.
Time to start tearing the paper. (A little shiver runs down my spine) 
I know, I know, it sounds nerdy and when it comes to paper I'm a total nerd.

No comments:

Post a Comment