H O M E W E B S I T E E M A I L

Wednesday 31 October 2012

Rope of Words 18 - Tearing the paper.

My blog will soon be moving to a different address - www.limetreesstudio.com - I'll keep you posted.

I've now got my order of the first 25 sheets of paper. Each book will use 13 half sheets plus there'll be a set of prints on their own, plus with mistakes it can easily mean double the amount. One little spill or splodge in screen-printing and it's damaged goods!
I'm hoping to do a limited edition of 6 books, so might eventually use 100 sheets. Gulp!

Time to start tearing the pages. Just look at those beautiful deckled edges.
This is a proper paper tearing knife, also known as a "shoe knife" as it is (was?) used by cobblers and it's quite hardy with a rosewood handle. The blade tapers to fit the handle without any angles or curves which could wreck the paper if it got caught. My bone folder is an extra fine one to score the paper before folding and tearing, then to score it again to fold the folio in half.

I photographed the boned folder pointing at the watermark, which needless to say, you can't detect at all in a photo.




The torn edge is quite finely torn and shouldn't mess up the precision at the top and bottom like a deckled or roughly torn edge would. When you buy the sheets the top and bottom edges are torn in much the same sort of "neat tear".

P.S. Butternut soup tonight - a nod to Halloween - perhaps we should go to movies and skip all the poor little frightened kids running around in sheets dressed as spooks, scaring one another.



No comments:

Post a Comment